Believe it or not, there is very little that you need for your newborn to prepare for good sleep habits, but there are some essentials that I recommend to all of my clients. Looking for what to put on a baby registry? Here are my top must haves for newborns.
1. Phillips Avent Pacifiers: If you delivered in a hospital this pacifier may look familiar to you since it is used in many hospitals around the world. The Philips Pacifier is designed specifically for newborns to 3 months old. It is made of hospital-grade, BPA-free and latex-free silicone for strength, comfort and durability. Its one piece construction is specially sized and shaped for a newborn's mouth and adheres to the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines. Did you know that a pacifier has been found to reduce SIDS when used during baby's first 6 months of life? It's true! I recommend purchasing many pacifiers so you can grab one in a moments notice. Plus they alwasy seem to get lost during those first few weeks of newborn haziness from being tired. Learn more and purchase these pacifiers here.
2. DOHM noise machine: After testing several sound machines, the DOHM by Marpac is hands down THE BEST in my opinion. This product is portable and durable (I have brought it along many trips, and it has never failed me). I learned over the summer that this machine actually produces “Pink Noise” which is different than white noise. Pink noise sounds are less abrasive and leads to a better night’s sleep. Less like radio static and more like leaves rustling. The DOHM has been around since 1962 and has been a leader in the market ever since so they are doing something right. Bonus: They are now available with an accent color trim – fancy schmancy. Learn more and check the DOHM out here.
3. Pink Himalayan Salt Lamp: If you’ve been following and learning about pediatric sleep from me you know darkness is essential for sleep. That children do not develop the fear of the dark until they are much older (2.5 – 3 years of age). However, we all know that newborns require night feedings and diaper changes too. I love the Himalayan Salt Lamp. It gives a warm ambient glow, and the light is warm. You can dim it and turn off easily with the hand control. Bonus: Himalayan salt lamps are believed to filter dust, mold, mildew and pet dander from indoor air. Check out this one available on Amazon.
4. Portable Cradle: With all three of my children I used a portable cradle so that I could easily carry it up and downstairs. Lightweight, flat surface, and a stable design this one from Baby Björn will make your life easier when you need to place your newborn down.
5. Solly Baby Wrap: With my third child I needed a handsfree solution to take him along when we went places that were nearby or far. My solution: The Solly Baby Wrap. I wore my little nugget from day one when taking the twins to and from the bus stop, to the park or wherever we ended up that day for play. Sometimes when the twins were at school I wore him around the house so that I had him close to me and I could get some work done as well. The fabric is light weight and buttery soft. I did a ton of research when I was pregnant on the best wraps for me, and this one was the top of my list. They have a variety of colors, but I went for the Natural and Gray Stripe. You know what else is neat about this company? They have fantastic support available to their customers. Solly Baby has a baby wearing educator on their staff named Morgan. Morgan can help out if you have problems or concerns about your wrap and she will make sure you are using it right. They also have many videos, this is what I used when I used the Solly Wrap, that walks you through step by step how to wear your baby in the Solly Wrap. By the way, did you check out their recently released crib sheets? They are so dreamy and made of the same soft materials as their wraps. Check out the crib sheets here.
6. Love To Dream Swaddle UP Original: Everyone knows that the Love to Dream Swaddle UP is my ABSOLUTELY favorite wearable blanket on the market. Honestly, it should be the very first thing you register for or purchase. I wish I had this product with my twins. My daughter was Houdini and didn’t liked being swaddled and got her arms out but would wake because of not feeling secure – this swaddle would have done the trick. I did use this with my youngest and it’s my top recommendation to clients. It promotes a natural way to sleep, the material is soft and durable, and the zip closure makes it easy for middle of the night diaper changes. You know what else is great? When it’s time to transition from the swaddle they have a stage 2 transitional swaddle called the Swaddle UP™ Transition Suit. This suit makes transitioning out of the Swaddle UP unbelievably easy. And then once you transition you can still use the sleep bag to keep your little one cozy all night. Learn more about their products here.
7. Blackout blinds or blackout curtains: A dark room is essential for good sleep. It sends a signal to the brain to begin producing melatonin - the hormone responsible for sleepiness. Several options for blackout curtains can be found at Bed Bath & Beyond. If you want to go the extra mile you can get blackout blinds installed. I personally like the Levelor, but Bali is top rated too. Just drop by your local Lowes, they will have someone come to your house to measure your window and about 4 weeks later the blind will be delivered and installed!
8. Finally, invest in a good sleep coach like me! Having a good sleep coach by your side is a must because a good coach is going to set you up for success, and meet your family goals for sleep and schedule. Of course you can invest in a book or an online program, but remember those are written or produced for the masses, and not every baby is "cookie cutter." I have found that every baby is different. Some things are similar, but many things are different depending on your baby's temperament and your needs as a family. The nice thing about working with me is that I'm a real person and can provide sleep education, work with you to figure out a solution to your problem or worries and keep you on track to ensure we are getting success. Want to schedule a free Discovery call to learn more about my services or how I can help?
Click here and complete the online form and I'll be in touch within 24 hours.
There you have it, my top newborn sleep products that you need to survive those early months. Comment below if you have any questions or need help with baby product recommendations. I'm here to help! Be sure to follow me on social. You can find me on Instagram @the_sleepcoach or on Facebook at Pediatric Sleep Coach.